Thursday

Oh My Sweet Beets! We Love This Dip.

beet-photo

Beets were the one veggie that really thrived last year in my garden. Tucked under the soil, they were safe from the deer and Claire’s busy little fingers. My cherry tomatoes didn’t make it to the table with my daughter’s constant snacking and let’s not discuss my zucchini plants that didn’t produce ANY zucchinis.

This is three years in a row I’ve had zero luck with the most “prolific” of garden veggies. I was led to believe that zucchini were like the rabbits of the veggie kingdom. What on earth am I doing wrong?

When I saw this recipe for Beet and White Bean Hummus over at Weelicious, I knew I had to try it out. Given Claire’s adoration of hummus (remember the hummus costume?!)  and her love of beets, I predicted a winner.

Guess what? I was right. And I think I’ll be planting at least 3000 beets because I intend to eat this at least once a day year round.
DSC_0321


I  modified the original recipe because I had tahini on hand and no fresh garlic (shocking, I know).

Roasted and Peeled
  • 1 Can White Kidney Beans (Drained and Rinsed)
  • 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp Lemon Juice
  • 1 Tbsp Tahini Paste
  • 2 tsp Garlic Powder
  • Throw it all in the food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy.

    We like to enjoy our hummus with cut up veggies and pita chips. This hummus has a mild flavor, even with the tahini in it. I think toddlers would find the color quite appealing, it’s unusual to find a savory food this shade of pink! I’m blessed with a kid who isn’t picky about her food, but I’m thinking this would be a great way to introduce beets to a picky eater.





    Linked up over at
    Fun Friday Finds

    2 comments:

    1. That looks yummy,I will have to try it.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Now this I have to try. How fun is pink dip--and even better pink dip with no food dyes!

      ReplyDelete