Tuesday

Crafty Treasure Unearthed Deep within Cellar

Nearly half a year has passed since Claire’s great-grandfather died (you can read my long rambling post on taking Claire to the viewing and funeral here). We’ve been slowly cleaning out the house preparing it for sale and I can’t help but smile at some of the things found beneath a rather thick layer of dust in the basement. Record players, dresses, cameras, a plastic blow up Santa from 1960 (and used every year since). Really, it’s quite astounding.


My grandparents were children of the depression – nothing went to waste and much of what they bought through their married life seems to still be in the basement. A lot is bound for the bin, but I can’t wait to put a few of their things to good use in my own home.
When Claire was born my grandmother set up what can only be described as a shrine. This was one proud great-grandma! There was no entering their house without committing to a 20 minute bragging session complete with photos and video.
Nanny passed away when Claire was four months old, but she snuck quite a bit of grandmotherly love into that short time. My grandmother would be thrilled to know that Claire will learn to sew on this teeny-tiny machine found tucked away in a closet.
Recently Updated
How fantastic is this little guy?  Just the right size for a child, right! You can operate it by battery or use the hand crank. I’m “SEW” glad they kept the box because the retro-packaging makes me smile.
I vividly remember sharpening pencils in elementary school. I would finish my math sheet or a book and wander up to the front of the room to slowly sharpen my pencils and gaze out the window. I know these old sharpeners have been replaced with electric models in most classrooms so I’m happy to have this little piece of hand-powered machinery at home.
Claire has already made sure that both ends of our colored pencils are in tip-top shape. Turning the handle is such a simple activity that produces such gratification!
DSC_0365
What treasures! I’m so happy to have these little mementos from my grandparent’s home. Are you or your children enjoying some family heirlooms in your everyday life?

2 comments:

  1. The sewing machine is such a cool find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous sewing machine. What a difficult task this must be, so many memories, so hard to choose what to keep.

    ReplyDelete